Hello! I’m Jo Cotterill and I write books for children and young people. Some random things about me:
1. I live in Oxfordshire.
2. I have a husband and two daughters.
3. I love cheese. And chocolate. And monkey nuts. And CAKE.
4. I don’t watch scary films any more. I decided I would rather fill my TV hours watching nice and interesting things.
5. Despite being a scaredy-cat when it comes to horror, I do enjoy a good rollercoaster. Favourite is AIR at Alton Towers.
6. When I was a teenager, I didn’t write a lot of stories. Instead, I wrote a lot of music. And I played flute, piccolo, alto saxophone, piano and violin. Nowadays I can’t play them all very well (because being good at something takes practice and I don’t do it any more!) but sometimes, I still write songs. In 2015, I did a musical gig with some other authors and we loved it so much we have formed our own band, First Draft! We don’t do a lot of performances, but I LOVE writing new songs for us! (they’re mostly about books and writing, but sometimes I write songs about other things I like, like ice cream!)
7. I’m a writer now but I’ve had two previous careers: one as an actor and one as a teacher. I enjoyed both careers very much, but writing is where my heart lies.
8. I love starting a story and not really knowing where it’s going. For me, the magic of writing is not knowing what’s going to come out of your imagination next.